Wednesday 14 November 2012

Enchiladas - Recipe

Yesterday was time for something we hadn't had for a long time, enchiladas! I was on my way home from work and it started to get late as I had a skypedate with my friends in Sweden. So, I had to come up with something that I could make very quickly. I went to Sainsbury's and picked up some corn tortillas and chicken breast. I had some enchilada and fajita spice mix at home that was previously bought in those ready made kits from Old El Paso. Husband helped me out so we did it in no time. Here is my twist on simple enchiladas!
Ingredients:
1,5 big chicken breasts, sliced 
1 red bell pepper, sliced
3 big mushrooms, chopped
10 cm of a leek, sliced (wash properly as dirt is hidden behind the layers)
6 cm of an aubergine, sliced
sweet corn, small can
2 tsp fajita spice mix
1,5 tbsp enchilada spice mix
3 tbsp olive oil
1 cup grated cheese
2 cups tomato sauce
8-10 corn tortilla bread

Process:
1- Slice and chop up all the ingredients. Heat up 2 tbsp of olive oil in a pan and fry the chicken until the water that comes from the chicken dries up. Add half of the enchilada spice over the chicken and fry well together with the sweet corn.


2- In another pan add 1 tbsp of olive oil and fry the vegetables with the rest of the enchilada spice mix. When both the chicken and vegetables start to get golden brown add them together and let the flavours marry for a bit. Add 1 cup of the tomato sauce and mix well.


3- Now, put some of the filling on top of a tortilla bread and roll it together and put it in an ovenproof dish. Repeat the process with the rest of the tortilla breads.


4- Mix 1 cup of tomato sauce with the fajita spice mix and layer it over the tortilla rolls. Sprinkle the grated cheese over them. Bake them in the oven for 30-45 minutes on 180-200 degrees depending on oven.


I used the Old El Paso spice mix for enchiladas in the filling and fajita in the tomato sauce as it gives it a smoky and delicious taste to them. I know enchiladas are usually made with little veggies, but I love my twist with different veggies as they add new flavors and variation. Hope you give it a try!

Enjoy!


No comments: