Thursday 27 June 2013

Homegrown Herbs

My 1,5 year old basil plant

Being outdoors is a passion of mine and my family tries to go outside as soon as we have time and the weather allows it. I can't wait for the day we have a garden for me to be outside and start plant and get busy with the garden. We don't have a garden at the moment, but that doesn't stop me from planting things.

So far I have a 1,5 year old basil plant in the windowsill. Since we love pasta, I wanted to have fresh basil at home all the time. So, one day I bought a basil plant in soil from Sainsbury's and after use, replanted it in a bigger pot. I put the pot in the windowsill and it did not require a lot  of my time or attention at all. It turned 1,5 year. But now it is dying and i need new plants for my windowsill.



 I googled around the web and found really nice inspiring photos of homegrown herbs in the windowsill and now I cant wait to take on this project. First, I have to decide what plants to have indoors, and I am pretty sure of basil, coriander, rosemary and chives.


 However, there are so many different kinds that you can grow indoors. Will also need to purchase pots and compost and the actual seeds or herbs that are already planted in soil from one of the supermarkets. As the later alternative proved successful, I will probably go for that one. Will see how it goes, will keep the blog posted as soon as I have started! I think whoever that can grow indoor herbs, should definitely give it a go, as I found it very expensive to buy fresh herbs, so why not plant the ones you use the most at home. 

No comments: