Tuesday 2 July 2013

Gooey yet Crunchy Fajitas - Recipe

When we get tired of hearty dishes like rice and stews, family and I love to make easier yet delicious meals instead of a take away. But when you still craving fast food, homemade fajitas is a great choice for those lazy days when you just can't think of a 2 course meal that will take a few hours to cook. 

Delicious fajitas
Now I don't make everything from scratch as I can be too lazy to do so, but making fajitas at home instead of ordering them, can be such fun as they are very easy to make and can be varied easily. You can use chicken, lamb, beef or even shrimps and choose from different types of veggies to be included in your fajita. I usually choose chicken, sun dried tomatoes, corn, paprika and onions for my filling. Here is how I make mine:

Serves: 3

Recipe:
2 chicken breasts, sliced
1 red onion, sliced
1 yellow paprika, sliced
1/2 cup sweet corn
2 sun dried tomatoes, sliced
fajita spice mix (I use Old el Paso spice mix)
8 tortillas
200 g salsa sauce (any salsa sauce you like or make your own)


Method:
1- Slice up the chicken and brown it in a frying pan with 2 tbsp of olive oil. Once the chicken is browned add the amount of fajita spice mix you like, I usually use half of the spice mix bag. While the chicken is frying,  slice the veggies. 





2. Once the chicken looks almost cooked, add the vegetables and add a little more of the fajita spice mix. After few minutes, when the vegetables are soft yet crunchy, add the salsa sauce and stir well for about 10 minutes on medium heat, until the sauce has reduced a little to a nice sticky consistency.


3. Let the filling cool a little and prepare the tortillas, by warming them slightly. Add some of the filling on a tortilla and top it with some grated cheese. Since I like to make my fajitas crunchy I also add a mix of different salad leaves but you can leave it out if you don't like it. Roll them up and enjoy a lovely, gooey yet crunchy meal!



Enjoy!

No comments: