Friday 7 April 2017

Bulgur with chicken and potato stew - recipe

As we are starting to eat less rice, I have made more dishes with bulgur. Tastes really good and my kids love it. It is still filling and goes well with almost any stew. I made it together with a nice chicken and potato stew this time. Nothing fancy really, only tried to use up whatever I had in pantry and freezer before doing the next big food shopping.


I always worry that the kids will not like it, but so far I have been actually lucky. They have accepted everything I have put on the table and they do eat with good appetite. I can only see myself as a lucky mum.

Ingredients:
2 chicken breasts
3 potatoes
2 onions
1 bell pepper
half zucchini
fresh parsley
paprika, curry, 7 spices mix powder
1 vegetable stock
salt and pepper
2-3 tbsp tomato pure

Method:
1. Dice the chicken in 1 cm pieces and add to a deep pan with few tbsp of oil. Add rest of the vegetables and add the spices. Mix and let everything fry on high heat for 5 mins. Add 1 cup water and lower the heat. Add the tomato pure and let simmer for a good 30 min. Taste it and season if necessary.

2. Boil the bulgur according to the instructions of the package. I generally do the following: 1 cup of bulgur is added to a pot with few spoons of oil and salt. I mix well before I add 1 1/4 cup boiled water to the pan and throw in the vegetable stock too. I lower the heat to 1 and let it simmer for 20 mins. Afterwards I fluff the bulgur with a fork. 



3. Once the stew and bulgur is done, serve them together with a nice tangy green salad.


Enjoy!



No comments: