Thursday 28 March 2013

Moroccan Beef Tagine & Cookbook Challenge - Recipe


Last weekend, my husband and I embarked on a short trip to Morocco, exploring the vibrant city of Tangier in the north. Let me talk about the incredible food we experienced. From the tantalizing couscous to the aromatic tagines and the bustling street food scene, every bite was a culinary delight. However, the highlight for me was the freshly squeezed orange juice—pure sunshine in a glass. I must confess, I indulged in at least two glasses a day throughout our four-day stay! 

Since I bought special spice mixes for tagines and the spice Ras el Hanout in Tangier, I was inspired to cook something truly Moroccan. Luckily, I have a fantastic cookbook at home by Lesley Mackley called "The Book of North African Cooking," an old gem published in 1998, I acquired from our local library. It's filled with tantalizing recipes that capture the essence of Moroccan cuisine. One of my favorite recipes in this cookbook is Moroccan Couscous. 

Moroccan couscous is a fantastic recipe that showcases how to make couscous from scratch and incorporates a hearty beef tagine. Traditionally, this dish calls for the use of seven vegetables, but since I didn't have all the ingredients on hand, I had to get a bit creative. I'll share the recipe here, along with the modifications I made while preparing this flavourful dish. As per the original recipe, it serves at least 6 people.

Let me introduce you to the star player:

Ras el Hanout is a North African spice blend that originates from Morocco. Its name translates to "head of the shop" or "top-shelf," indicating that it contains the best spices a seller has to offer. The exact composition of Ras el Hanout varies from region to region and even from spice shop to spice shop, but it typically includes a combination of warm and aromatic spices like cumin, coriander, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, allspice, cloves, and turmeric. This versatile spice blend is often used to season meats, tagines, couscous, rice dishes, and more, adding depth of flavor and complexity to dishes.



Ingredients:
1 kg trimmed lamb cut into pieces (I used 300 g beef)
2 onions, chopped
55 g chickpeas, soaked overnight (I used 400 g canned butter beans)
1 tsp ground ginger
salt & pepper to taste
pinch saffron thread (I skipped this)
4 small turnips, cut into large pieces (I used 4 potatoes instead)
2 small carrots, chopped 
450 g regular couscous (I used instant couscous)
25 g butter, melted
a little rosewater ( I didn't have)
55 g raisins
4 medium courgettes, halved length ways
1 butternut squash, peeled and cubed
2 tomatoes, quartered
2 tbsp each chopped fresh coriander and parsley (I used dried herbs)

Spices: 1 tsp tagine mix, 1 tbsp Ras el Hanout mix

Method:
1- Place the meat, with onions and chickpeas in a large stockpot. Stir in the ginger, saffron and 1 tsp pepper. Cover with water, bring to a boil and simmer, covered, for 45 minutes. Add turnips and carrots.


Since I didn't use all the specified ingredients, I adjusted the cooking method slightly. I boiled the meat separately, seared it, and then added the vegetables. 




2- Place the couscous in a large bowl. Dissolve 1 tsp salt in 150 ml water and sprinkle over the couscous. Stir with your fingers and break up any lumps. Place it over the stockpot with the simmering stew. Steam, covered, for 20 minutes. Then, turn the couscous onto a large earthenware dish and sprinkle with little salted water. Lightly rub in the melted smen or butter and rosewater and put the couscous back into the bowl and place it over the cooking stew. 

Since I used instant couscous, I followed the instructions on the package. For 3 people, I used 1 cup of couscous per person and added 2 cups of boiling water along with 1,5 cup of the simmering stock from the stew.



3- Add raisins, courgettes, squash  tomatoes, salt, coriander and parsley to the simmering stew then replace the couscous over the pot. Steam for a further 30 minutes, occasionally fluffing the couscous grains with a fork.



I added my vegetables earlier, but at this point,  I also included raisins, butter beans, and herbs.

4- To serve, pile the couscous onto a large earthenware serving dish. With a slotted spoon, transfer the meat and vegetables to the center of the dish. Pour over some of the broth.

Traditionally, couscous is enjoyed from a large earthenware dish, with everyone using their hands. However, I opted to serve the couscous individually for each person on regular plates. To add a touch of freshness, I garnished it with basil since I didn't have any other fresh herbs available. 






Enjoy!

No comments: