Tuesday 7 August 2018

Sauteed chard and sugar beet leaves with eggs - allotment recipes

I am trying to eat more healthy and cutting down on many bad food habits as well as cutting down on meat. So I am trying to use up a lot of the greens we get from the allotment. This is a recipe that is very dear to me as it was given to me by my mum. She used to make this dish for us during our long Saturday breakfasts at home. It is a very common Kurdish breakfast dish. 

 


The recipe is very basic and easy to make. Yet it fills you up and can be made any time during the day. In fact, it was my dinner today. I used chard and sugar beet leaves as well as onions from my allotment. The taste is so much better when you use organically grown vegetables. I am starting to incorporate more and more from the allotment. We grow many different greens and vegetables. I am hoping to increase the number of vegetables next year.  If we don't get hold of chard or sugar beet leaves, we generally use spinach leaves in this recipe.


Ingredients:
chard leaves and stalks
sugar beet leaves and stalks
1 onion
3-4 eggs
salt and pepper
paprika and curry powder

 Method:
1. Chop the onion and the leave stalks. Fry them with a few tbsp of oil on medium heat until soft and golden. Add the chopped leaves and season well.



2. Once everything is fried well, add the eggs and mix. Taste and see if more seasoning is needed.



3. Once everything is well cooked serve it with flat bread. Or just eat as is. You will definitely make it many times. It is a very nice and different option to the everyday omelette. The chard taste is mild and almost sweet, not bitter at all.


Enjoy!



No comments: