When you are out with your little ones you always want to have a healthy snack or energy bar with you that are not filled with sugars or processed. I have experimented a lot until I found the best recipe for a good energy bar that would not be too sticky or crumble up. My toddler loves these and when he starts get hungry and food is not just ready I give him one of these. Even me and hubby loves them
1 cup oats
1/2 cup coconut flakes
1/2 cup rice krispies
2-3 tbsp pumpkin seeds
2-3 tbsp sesame seed
1/2 cup almond flakes
2 cups pitted dates
2 tbsp peanut butter
2 tsp coconut oil
2-3 tbsp honey
1 tsp vanilla sugar
1. Put the oats, coconut flakes, almonds, and pumpkin seeds on a baking sheet covered with baking paper. Toast them in the oven for only 10 mins at 180 degrees. They should be somewhat golden ish.
2. While they oats are in the oven prepare the wet ingredients. In a food prossesor add the pited dates, peanut butter, coconut oil, honey and vanilla and mix until you get a smooth sticky filling.
3. Put the toasted ingredients in a bowl and mix in the wet ingredients and add the rice krispies. It will add a nice crunch to the energy bars. Once everything is nicely mixed put the mixture in a oven dish that is covered with baking paper. This will make it easier to take it out. It will be sticky so you can moisten your hands little with water and then press firmly on the mixture so it lays flat and even. Once you think you have pressed a lot, press a little more. this will make sure it does not crumble and stick together.
4. Stick the oven dish in the freezer for 20 mins and then cut it up so that you get nice bars.
5. My toddler loves these energy bars. So do I. I always make sure to have a few with us when we are out and about for those moments when sugar levels are getting low.